Monday, March 5, 2012

Holier Than Thou - S/T 7"

Photobucket

Listening to this now is bringing back so many memories. This record has been forever burned into my brain. The first time I heard it was due to Rob NLZ of Mondo Aggro fame. He used to just buy any record at a store with skateboard related artwork and stumbled across this gem. I finally scored my own copy of this record almost four years later on Sixes tour for $2. Listen to "Why" by RKL and then listen to the opening track of this record and you'll see what they're going for. The vocals are fucking great, super tight music with cool vocal timing and mega fast muted tremolo... oh yeah. Ridiculously good blend of raging skateboard hardcore punk and witty lyrics. Just listen to this: "Searching and finding, slapping and grinding, smearing and tearing without any caring, fuck up your planter cause that shit don't matter, we're ready to fight since you aren't into sharing." I was hooked immediately. We used to just listen to this record at Leone's old apartment when she lived with Rodney (of Ape Escape fame, also the dude who tattooed my head and gave a bunch of Bremerton kids HIV tattoos). We'd go skate the cut up full pipes at the dump, come back and watch thrashin, then make rat pack denims. Livin' the lyrics man. All the tracks on this release are golden. I'm still trying to figure out the lyrics to "It's a Crime", it seems like it's allegory for either grinding curbs and rails or graffiti or both I can't really tell. He makes it sound like he's talking about killing people, I dunno. It's cool though. I dare you to listen to it skating, if it doesn't make you wanna push as hard as you can then I don't know what's wrong with you. Thanks Robert.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Download

No comments:

Post a Comment