Sunday, September 26, 2010

Sixes - S/T 7"

Photobucket

Ok now this release I am more proud of. Self-released on Travis's label Edmanrex we had a lot of fun with this. Toured the east coast on it and are planning on touring more and releasing another record, hopefully a full length.
A few things set this above the demo for me, first off I felt much more comfortable with my vocals and all the lyrics are new recently written material. Second was the addition of Bob of Ancient Head/Owen Hart fame on guitar and extra help with song writing. His input helped give us that gnarly sort of 'Buried Alive' feel on the third track. Our good friend Amy did the art for the cover and it is extremely personal to her so I was excited to use it.
I'll give a track by track breakdown: "Learned Nothing" I wrote mostly out of anger with some people in the Olympia music community but it can be applied to most anyone who fits the description. It basically boils down to being about how my behaviors and who I am are not because of any sort of label or cliche but are so because that is simply who I am. Long story short, why be something that you're not? "Bloated Minds" is a little less abstract and basically just about coming to terms with my own place in European Colonialism and coming to terms with what my life and privilege entail. It's not so much a call to arms as it is a call to awareness. I understand that it would take revolutionary means and serious sacrifice to change the world we live in but it starts with the way we think and the things we choose to consume. The lines "where are my thoughts, do they even exist" get a bit more on the philosophical side. What I meant to say was 'are they really mine' moreso than 'do they exist'. Everything that we know and believe is built up on suffering and an unawareness of our privilege. It makes me sick to my stomach thinking of the cost to outsourced countries populations and lives of animals we take for granted just for the most menial of satisfactions; a tasty snack, something aesthetically pleasing. I think it's fucking dumb so I wrote about it because I feel we seriously need to change the way we think about what we have and are capable of as a country. "Fifteen" is a song about my biological father and how the very thought of even having behaviors similar to his sickens me. "Illusion of Purpose" is a song about my own personal philosophy on life and human existence. It's a song about what I find value in and why people get upset when they push connection with other human, animal, and biological life aside. It's a more mature version of Apocrypha so to speak.

Photobucket

The end of the 7" has an outro where I have the opportunity to do a bit of spoken word. It's from a piece I wrote for a book I was working on out of College that I never finished. All I have left of it are scattered notes. The last lines "The certitude that there is no salvation... as the only way out" are quoted from Emil Cioran. I was bummed on the guitar solo Bob threw in there; coupled with the words it makes it seem pretty cheesy I feel. If you want to buy a record hit em up here!
The insert has brief lyrical explications. I love playing in Sixes.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Download

No comments:

Post a Comment