Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Brown Sugar - Brown Sugar Sings of Birds and Racism

Photobucket

This LP seriously rules. The more I listen to it the more I pick up on things I missed in previous spinnings. The time signatures and song structures are totally nuts at times. The whole thing is crazy and chaotic and the vocals are sometimes reminiscent of Darby Crash with lyrics composed of witty and confusing prose. I love the usage of saxophone in "Black and White", Total Fucking Garbage" and "Somali Pirate". Also don't be put off by that statement because the sax is tasteful, you should still download this even if you hate Tim Capello. The album starts off with "Funk Land" which is true to title when it breaks out into a jazz freak out halfway through. Two contemporary bands have done this on an LP in 2011 so far, Outlook and Brown Sugar, so sick. "Total Fucking Garbage" is one of my favorite tracks. The vocals are totally menacing and the whole track is just crushing. "Blow" is probably my favorite song on the release. It's actually just a really slowed down re-recorded version of the 7" track. "Birds" has really cool lyrics and some pretty awesome drum breaks. I can't imagine how much time went into putting together this record, it is really something else. When I really sit down and listen to it, it almost seems too good to be real.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Download

No comments:

Post a Comment