Monday, December 24, 2012

Hounds Of Hate - S/T CS

Photobucket

Got this tape in the mail from Flynn right before I left for tour. I wasn't bummed I couldn't give it a few spins because all the tracks were already burned into my brain. The tape opens up with "Pound of Flesh" which, if released in the late 80's, could easily have found its place on "Where the Wild Things Are" or "The Way It Is". The track fucking kills it right out of the gate. Because I'm already making a segue into a late 80s New York hardcore comparison I might as well continue. The tape is full of that musical flare that breaks it up from its contemporaries. Tempo changes in songs like "Pride" definitely remind me of some of that groove from the time. I feel like this band is what Krakdown would sound like if they ever had good production behind their music. I don't wanna limit my comparison to just one band because that would definitely sell Hounds of Hate short, I hear some hard groove in many other Krakdown contemporaries like Raw Deal, and a lot of the chords and effects on the guitar remind me of Burn (this is more apparent on the 7" which I'll put up next). Others have said the vocalist is reminiscent of Raybeez but I'm not hearin' it, the inflections are there but not the voice. Long story short Hounds of Hate is contemporary hardcore all its own, it sells the music short just comparing it to past bands. I don't know how they're doing it but Hounds of Hate is writing original hardcore music in the 2000s. I'm a sucker for the straight edge but there is no bias here. Much love for an objectively good band.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Download

No comments:

Post a Comment